Converting a legal separation into a divorce

A Decree of Legal Separation can be converted to a Decree of Dissolution of Marriage (divorce). If the court has already granted the Decree and one of the spouses wishes to convert the Legal Separation to a divorce. A motion can be made with the court to convert the legal separation to a divorce. However, this motion to convert can only be filled after six months have passed. Either spouse may make the motion to the court. Both spouses do not have to agree in order to convert a legal separation to divorce. However, the spouse filing the motion must provide legal notice to the other spouse. (After one year, legal notice is not technically required, but many judges in several counties will still require the legal notice be provided to the other spouse.)

Related Posts

How do I tell if a client has already E-filed

View Client Connections

How to get connected with a client who already has an account on LegalAtoms