Skip to content

Splitting the future college fees for you children

About The Author

Recently updated on May 8th, 2024 at 12:14 am


After the divorce, under Washington Law, it is mandatory/necessary for both separated parents having legal duties for financially supporting their children. College fees for your children falls under the child support order followed by the court. The child support order includes expenses like, as day care and transportation, health and insurance for children, college expenses and etc. Sometimes parents were not married to each other and when the child is born then at that time before having child, they might have agreed upon/signed a paternity affidavit naming the father and if not, parentage can be established in court. It should be noted that college fees of your children is followed by the Washington State Child Support Schedule.


  • A court must order one or both parents to pay financial support to their children.
  • Payment of child support and all other expenses like college fees is an important part of legal separation/divorce, or parentage action.
  • It will be decided by the court to order for the arrangements of college fees, and of course, how much will be paid.
  • If parents are involved in legal action such as divorce, separation or parentage action, then the court is competent to decide the child support amount including college fees.
  • Child support is meant to provide the needs the child required.
  • Paying child support is not allowed by the parents even if they both agree.
  • The child support schedule is the only advisory discretion not mandatory for college/postgraduate education.
  • Court can not insist the separated parents for children’s college/postgraduate fees.
  • In Washington State, the court can order the parents for post-secondary fess if certain factors met, but this child support is not mandatory.
  • In some states, court can order the separated parents to support financially at the age of majority if the children are unable to support themselves or disable.
  • Court cannot order the parents to pay the children to attend the college or post-secondary schooling.
  • Post-graduation education is supported through the enforcement of private agreements by the states.
  • College fees can also be settled in the Plan agreement/support order made by the parents.
  • If it is child’s right to post-secondary education must be done in a reasonable time so that he may be considered to begin his college studies at right time, then the divorce agreement or support order must be reviewed as soon as possible.
  • It is the duty of child to make available/produce all academic records/grades before the both parents for receiving the college fees.
  • If a child doesn't provide all the academic records to anyone of the parents, then the child is not entitled to financial support accordingly.
  • Your child must have good academic standings on the part of school where your child is enrolled.
  • The court shall not order the separated parents for the payment of post-secondary education beyond the age of 23, except for exceptional cases such as mental, physical or emotional disabilities.
  • If the child is below the age of 23, the court can direct one or both parents for the fees payment of post-secondary education.
  • The college fees may directly be given to the child or it can be deposited in the institution where the child is enrolled.



Related Posts


How the Domestic Violence Restraining Order (DVRO) Court Forms are Grouped By Topic

How the Minor Guardianship Court Forms are Grouped By Topic


Can I Sue my Neighbor for Emotional Distress

Scroll To Top