Dr Bowen’s Response: How child support works

About Author


How child’s custody works at the end of marriage or partnership


Hi! My name is Dr. Deirdre Bowen. I am a professor at the Seattle University School of Law.  The information that I am about to provide to you should be taken as just that: information and not legal advice. One question people often are curious about is how child support gets awarded at the end of marriage or partnership. Unlike other things associated with the dissolution of marriage or partnership, child support is non-negotiable. It is dictated by child support guidelines in Washington state. There are three factors that go into determining how much each party will pay for child support. First, your monthly income, as well as your spouse’s monthly income. Second, how old your children are and how many children you have. And third, the amount of residential time the child spends with you vs. your spouse.


Hola, mi nombre es Dra. Diedra Bowen. Soy una profesora en la Escuela de Leyes de la Universidad de Seattle. La información que estoy a punto de proporcionarte debe tomarse como eso, información y no como un consejo legal. Una pregunta que usualmente las personas tienen curiosidad es ¿Cómo se adjudica el soporte infantil al final de un matrimonio o emparejamiento doméstico? A diferencia de otras cosas asociadas con la disolución de un matrimonio o emparejamiento, el soporte infantil no es negociable, es dictado por lineamientos de soporte infantil en el Estado de Washington. Hay tres factores que determinan cuánto cada parte pagará de soporte infantil. Primero: Tu ingreso mensual al igual que el ingreso mensual de tu pareja, Segundo: ¿Qué edad tienen tus hijos y cuántos hijos tienes? Y Tercero: La cantidad de tiempo residencial que el niño pasa contigo a diferencia de tu pareja.



See your divorce process (with children)

About Post Author

Related Posts

Serving the temporary order to the other party

How to add supporting evidence such as photos, WORD documents, and PDFs to your case

Make Changes to or End a Civil Protection Order