Skip to content

Make Changes to or End a Civil Protection Order

About The Author

Recently updated on December 5th, 2023 at 11:18 pm

This article applies to all civil protection orders in the State of Washington:

  • Domestic Violence Protection Order
  • Sexual Violence Protection Order
  • Antiharassment Protection Order
  • Stalking Protection Order
  • Vulnerable Adult Protection Order
  • Extreme Risk Protection Order

Making Modify or Lift A No Contact Order?

Very often couples, family members or neighbors realize that the civil protection order is not meeting their needs.

The order can be modified or canceled altogether but the process requires a judge or equivalent judicial officer to issue an order.

The steps are:

Step 1:  File a motion for hearing.

The specific form is called "Motion to Modify/Terminate Order for
Protection" and can be found on this page from Washington Courts.

DV7_010_combo_2019 07

Step 2:  Submit the Documents to Court Clerk

Submit the court forms at the same court that submitted your order.

Step 3:  Attend the hearing

Any modifications or termination is done at a hearing.  A hearing could also be rejected in the first place. If a hearing is scheduled, then you need to present evidence as to why the civil protection order needs to be modified or terminated.

Posted in

Related Posts

Domestic Violence Protection Order (DVPO) in Tacoma and Pierce County in Washington

Domestic Violence Protection Order (DVPO) at the Spokane County in Washington

Domestic Violence Protection Order (DVPO) at the King County in Washington

Scroll To Top